As I was trying to think of things to do with the cream peas I got in my CSA box, I realized that their taste and texture weren’t too far away from garbanzo beans. Of course! I’ll make falafels with them!
The falafels turned out great – I hate that I forgot to take a picture of them. I had them on Greek pita bread with lettuce, feta, and yogurt. I also used them to top a spinach salad.
- 4 cups cream peas (or chickpeas), cooked and drained
- ½-1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- ½ small red onion, finely chopped
- Put first 7 ingredients in food processor (start with ½ cup breadcrumbs) and process until almost smooth.
- Add the onion and process slightly more, just to combine.
- Stir in more breadcrumbs as needed to get a sturdy consistency.
- Shape (1/2 inch thick) patties and bake in a 400 F oven for 30 minutes, flipping over after 15 minutes.
I hope you enjoy this recipe – it’s easy, inexpensive, healthy, and tasty!